Saturday, July 19, 2014

Breaking Fast Fun

There is a story in Turkey - a visitor sits down at a restaurant and orders water and must say, "Please, no eggplant in my water." That is how ubiquitous that vegetable is here.

My cooking instructor at the Ataturka Cooking School, Mara, told our class this story last night as we made five courses: lentil soup, the eggplant, stuffed grape leaves, zucchini fritters and walnut-stuffed figs. Day Four was a turning point for me, the day my trip began to feel really fun. It began by sleeping through a severe rainstorm until noon (finally, catching up!) and ending with making four friends in my class: one Australian, one Norwegian and a pair of French biology teachers living and working on the island of St. Martin.

Here is the beautiful pot of eggplant, which we spent 30 minutes peeling, scoring and stuffing - so many secrets to the eggplant, not just "forgetting about it" in the oven...


And here is our Chef teaching us how to stuff grape leaves with lamb:










The class/dinner began at 4:30 and ended at 10 - one of those nights where travelers from all around the world discover more similarities than differences, especially when it comes to American HBO and Showtime.

After dinner, I witnessed my favorite cultural vision yet with my new friends: thousands of families breaking the daily Ramadan fast in the Sultanehmet (center) of Istanbul, laying Turkish blankets down in the square between the Blue Mosque (picture #2 below) and Hagia Sofia (#3). What a sight. Picnics, music, candy-makers and whirling dervishes everywhere, and the local/tourist ratio was about 300 to 1:



With these two monuments as a backdrop, I kept saying, "And this is not Disneyland!!" We strolled through a night market and just soaked in the culture. I really needed this - a night with Westerners and this exposure to such a cool cultural event. Like I said, corner has been turned.

I am typing this at 4:00 am. The drummer woke me up at 2, so I figured I would blog until the call to prayer. I even captured it on video but I can't figure out how to load 30 seconds of an honest-to-goodness local wooden house neighborhood call to prayer. Brian?
 

6 comments:

Liza Behrendt said...

Wow! Delight! I love all of this!

Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased that you had a turning point, Marjie. Please make some stuffed eggplant for us when you return.
Dad

Brian Bowker said...

Can you get the video to Youtube? Then you should be able to at least post a link to it, if not an embedded version.

Jaci said...

That Brian is full of great coaching tips. U were BORN TO TAKE A COOKING CLASS in Istanbul & learn about the heart & soul of the eggplant & all the other delights

Jaci said...

Love the story ur cooking teacher shared w u. U were born to stroll markets day & night as well. So SO HAPPY U R DOING WHAT U WERE DESTINED TO DO!!

Batman said...

AttaTurka! Way to go!

(the aforementioned comment is a lame attempt at some sort of punny humor.)

(oh, and, by the way... I love that you can "choose an identity" when you post a comment.)

(LFP)